MEET A MEMBER: Cheri Watkins
This article was originally published at The Clubhou.se
A writer by trade, Cheri’s often seen tapping away at her computer when she works out of theClubhou.se. Don’t let that stop you from saying hello and getting your dose of quick wit, a stellar sense of humor, and a willingness to help out. Meet Cheri!
1. How did you come to be a member of theClubhou.se?
I was looking for a co-working space similar to those I used in San Francisco and Silicon Valley. When I searched online for co-working in Augusta, theClubhou.se came to the top. After attending a 1 Million Cups event and meeting some of the people who show up here, I knew this was the spot for me.
2. Describe the moment you decided what you wanted to do in life?
That would probably be when I changed my undergraduate major from theater to English and decided to become a writer.
3. What do you do in your current work?
I mostly write. Currently, I have one client–a small machinery import company–for whom I am conducting communications. This consists mainly of writing website content, building a social media presence, and creating business emails for the company’s President. I am also looking for additional clients and full-time opportunities in the field of writing, editing, and communications.
4. What is an expertise you have that you would like to share with others?
How to craft compelling content.
5. What are you tinkering with at the moment?
An idea tentatively called Doorway CSRA, which would facilitate housing, employment and mentorship for adults and adolescents living with serious mental illness and/or developmental disabilities.
6. What are you interested in learning?
I’m interested in learning how to code (full stack) and how to better edit video using Premiere.
7. What is your favorite sci-fi movie?
A Wrinkle in Time, which also happens to be my favorite sci-fi book.
8. If you have not lived all of your life in Augusta, where else have you lived?
In addition to Augusta, I’ve lived in San Francisco, Silicon Valley and Monterey, California; Las Vegas, Nevada; and the Bronx, New York.
9. If you could see one thing happen in Augusta in the next 5 – 10 years, what would it be?
I’d like to see the medical and social service communities come together to create world class mental healthcare. I mean the kind of effort that would take the State of Georgia from being 26th in the nation in terms of quality of mental healthcare and put it in the Top 10 or, better yet, the Top 3.
10. theClubhou.se Core Values are: Risk Boldly, Honor Your Commitments, Be Worthy of Trust, Give More Than You Take, and Share Solutions. Which core value do you best exemplify and why?
Probably “Risk Boldly,” because attempting to maintain a career as a writer and editor is not for the faint of heart, especially in the Internet Era.
11. What’s your favorite aspect of being a member of theClubhou.se?
The opportunity to interact with staff and other members of the Clubhouse is probably my favorite aspect of being a member. This new building is also really snazzy.